WE ARE IMMEDIATE
Immediate Media Co is the special interest content and platform company. In Bristol, through IM Specialist, we have a market leading large special interest/leisure portfolio including BBC Countryfile, our Home Interest Portfolio, BBC Music, Science Focus and Gardens Illustrated. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK from our location in central Bristol, Eagle House. As Immediate Media Co and IM Specialist we engage over 19 million passionate consumers each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
BBC Music Magazine is the world’s best-selling classical music magazine and is the most comprehensive monthly guide to the world of classical music – live, broadcast and recorded. We are looking for a highly skilled, creative, energetic and dedicated Editor to lead the brand into the next stage of its journey.
The Editor is a key appointment for the brand and is responsible for developing and delivering the editorial strategy for BBC Music Magazine and its highly successful digital venture, classical-music.com. As a senior member of the team, the Editor is also expected to contribute to the brand’s commercial success and become an ambassador for the brand within the classical music industry and the wider community.
At Immediate we pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it’s really important to connect with our people, particularly as we’re all remote right now. So, we’ve developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an Editor to come in and lead our print and digital brands for BBC Music, as part of this role you will be:
- Leading by example to encourage a supportive, creative and inclusive culture where all individuals are able to do their best work.
- Devising, implementing and driving forward the brand editorial strategy across all media including, but not limited to, print, digital, events and brand extensions.
- Co-ordinating the content for each issue, commissioning work from a diverse set of contributors and freelancers, and ensuring all content is edited and presented to a high standard, to deadline and within budget.
- Overseeing the layout and appearance of all content, ensuring it reflects the brand’s values and balances the needs of readers with advertisers.
- Driving forward our digital movements, striving constantly for improvement, traffic growth and engagement.
- Line management responsibility of content team and, if appropriate, any other similar/equivalent team members.
- Building strong working relationships with all of our core partners and suppliers, including colleagues at Radio 3, BBC programming and the BBC more widely.
- Representing the brand and the company at an array of external settings such as, but not limited to, conferences, events, formal and informal industry situations, client meetings and concerts.
- Building close working relationships with key individuals and organisations throughout the classical music industry and beyond.
- Fronting brand set pieces such as the BBC Music Magazine Awards and also video content, podcasts, media packs, client presentations and similar.
- Ensuring that we are working at all times with integrity, good spirit and within the BBC guidelines.
At Immediate we are keen to promote equality and diversity with all of our roles, and we are supportive of people’s work-life balance, as such, for this role we are happy to discuss flexible working options. It's important for us to find the right person for all our roles, and with the specialist subject matter that this role requires we're also open to discussing the salary range.
A BIT ABOUT YOU
We're looking for someone who:
- Has significant experience of working as an Editor or Deputy Editor of a highly regarded consumer brand, ideally in a related subject matter area.
- Is excellent communicator, with strong management skills and demonstrate the creative, content and entrepreneurial flair to develop the brand further. You are comfortable in representing the brand at a senior level both internally and externally.
- Has an excellent understanding of the magazine production process and have the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people throughout the business.
- Enjoys managing a variety of different people, both directly and indirectly, and become an influencer, a facilitator and a force for good.
- Has an encyclopaedic knowledge of and passion for classical music, as well as existing strong industry relationships.
- Understands the importance of treating the brand’s digital offerings and opportunities with the same level of enthusiasm and worth as you would the print magazine.
- Is able to make sound contributions to both editorial and commercial day-to-day tactical conversations and know how to best make them work together.
- Has excellent analytical skills and be able to interpret data to develop meaningful content strategies for the brand.
- Has excellent management and leadership skills and a proven track record in developing people.
- Is creative and adaptable with the ability to prioritise your own workload and that of your team according to business goals and needs.
We’re committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants.
We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.
As you apply, we’ll ask you to share some personal information which will help us understand how we’re doing in our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We’d really appreciate if you’d take a few moments to complete this but if you’d rather not that’s fine too. Rest assured; we’ll treat your information confidentially.