WE ARE IMMEDIATE
Immediate Media is the special interest content and platform company. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK including BBC Countryfile Magazine, Gardens Illustrated, BikeRadar and Simply Sewing Magazine. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging over 82 million passionate consumers globally each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We sum up our mission in three words: Content. Passion. Engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our people are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. We’re focussed on growth across our business and we are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to innovate.
We pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it’s really important to connect with our people, particularly as we’re all remote right now. So, we’ve developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a creative and dynamic Editor for the prestigious Gardens Illustrated brand.
This is a rare opportunity to work on the world’s most beautiful garden brand renowned for its breathtaking photography, beautiful layouts and insights from leading experts. Now in its 30th year, the brand is well established as the most highly influential, thought-provoking and inspiring style guide to all things horticultural.
Your key focus will be to lead, develop and execute the editorial vision of Gardens Illustrated print and digital offerings, in equal measure, in line with the wider brand strategy. In addition, you will be tasked with driving reach and engagement across print, digital, mobile and social, while working closely with the Publisher and commercial team to deliver key partnerships.
As Editor of Gardens Illustrated print and digital content, you will develop and drive the editorial direction as well as the style and ethos of the brand with support of the Publisher and the editorial team.
You will have day-to-day responsibility for editorial issues, with lead responsibility for the quality of editorial content, whether for print, digital editions, web content and any brand extensions carrying the Gardens Illustrated branding.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Leading by example to encourage a supportive, creative and inclusive culture where all individuals are able to do their best work.
- Devising, implementing and driving forward the brand editorial strategy across all media including, but not limited to, print, digital, events and brand extensions.
- Co-ordinating the content for each issue, commissioning work from a diverse set of contributors and freelancers, and ensuring all content is edited and presented to a high standard, to deadline and within budget.
- Helping the team to develop ideas at every stage, from conception through content gathering and photography, to final version.
- Overseeing the layout and appearance of all content, working closely with the editorial and art departments of the magazine to ensure it reflects the brand’s values and balances the needs of readers with advertisers.
- Driving forward our digital movements, striving constantly for improvement, traffic growth and engagement.
- Working with the team to develop editorial opportunities that arise through TV, radio gardening programmes, and keeping up to date with industry and design developments so Gardens Illustrated continues at the forefront of industry knowledge and expertise.
- Representing the brand and the company at an array of external settings such as, but not limited to, conferences, events, formal and informal industry situations, client meetings and events.
- Line management responsibility of content team and, if appropriate, any other similar/equivalent team members.
- Building close working relationships with key individuals and organisations throughout the gardening/garden design industry and beyond, including our core partners and suppliers.
- Fronting brand set pieces such as the online webinars, events, video content, podcasts, media packs, client presentations and similar.
- Ensuring that we are working at all times with integrity, good spirit and collaboratively across the IM Specialist business
At Immediate we are keen to promote equality and diversity with all of our roles, and we are supportive of people’s work-life balance. Therefore, for this role we are happy to discuss flexible working options. It's important for us to find the right person for all our roles, and with the specialist subject matter that this role requires we're also open to discussing the salary range.
A BIT ABOUT YOU
We're looking for someone who has a solid background in garden journalism, sound managerial skills and is commercially savvy. Excellent writing and editing skills, a keen eye for detail and knowledge on how to develop features to ensure reader value are all skills we'd like you to have. Due to the nature of the content, you will also need excellent organisational and planning skills. You’ll demonstrate strong leadership skills, having experience in successfully leading teams in previous roles, and will be adept at working to tight deadlines and managing budgets.
- You will have significant experience of working as an Editor or Deputy Editor of a highly regarded consumer brand, ideally in a related subject matter area.
- You will be comfortable in representing the brand at a senior level both internally and externally.
- You will have an excellent understanding of the magazine production process and have the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people throughout the business.
- You will have a well-planned, forward thinking editorial vision with an eye on future commissions.
- You will enjoy managing a variety of different people, both directly and indirectly, and become an influencer, a facilitator and a force for good.
- You will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of and passion for world class Garden design, garden aesthetic, photography, as well as hold existing strong industry relationships.
- You will understand the importance of treating the brand’s digital offerings and opportunities with the same level of enthusiasm and worth as you would the print magazine.
- You will have a proven track record in driving digital success and be able to demonstrate your understanding and ability to use digital data platforms to inform content strategy.
- You will be able to make sound contributions to both editorial and commercial day-to-day tactical conversations and know how to best make them work together.
- You will have excellent analytical skills and be able to interpret data to develop meaningful content strategies for the brand.
- You will have excellent management and leadership skills and a proven track record in developing people.
- You will be creative and adaptable with the ability to prioritise your own workload and that of your team according to business goals and needs.
- If you can see yourself in any of the above, we would love to hear from you!
We’re committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants.
We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.
As you apply, we’ll ask you to share some personal information which will help us understand how we’re doing in our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We’d really appreciate if you’d take a few moments to complete this but if you’d rather not that’s fine too. Rest assured; we’ll treat your information confidentially.