The new app consolidates the current Independent Premium and Independent Daily Edition apps into a single, convenient destination for all readers, including subscribers and new users, who can register to access the content.
This new, streamlined platform integrates the best of The Independent’s journalism with a full range of multimedia functionality and features.
These include, say the publishers:
- Live news feeds: follow the news as it breaks with real-time updates on stories evolving throughout the day
- 5 things you need to know today: stay well informed with a selection of the best of The Independent’s news, comment and features
- Independent TV: readers can ‘watch’ headlining stories and immerse themselves further through a full programme of video
- Audio articles and playlists: take The Independent’s reporting on the go with audio articles, including download, offline listening, and playlists, for a seamless experience
- Access to daily digital newspapers: subscribers can get early access to the digital newspaper from 5am each morning, alongside live news coverage
- New interface and design: the new app has a brand-new interface and enhanced discovery, designed for easy reading and fast navigation
- Dark mode: perfect for settling in for some evening reading or browsing
Beyond these new additions, the app will retain popular features, including breaking news notifications, sharing and saving tools, and access to exclusive events.
Updates to registration processes in the new app will also help support The Independent’s A2K (Anonymous to Known) user data strategy. The new app will be sponsorable, with plans for a limited number of branding opportunities in the future, to maximise audience reach while minimising disruption to the user experience.
Chris Stevenson, Premium Editor at The Independent, said: “Our new, streamlined app will give readers better access than ever to our award-winning journalism, while innovations will also help our data and marketing teams push The Independent to new audiences as we expand our global reach even further.”
Keep up-to-date with publishing news: sign up here for InPubWeekly, our free weekly e-newsletter.